Maryland Monument -- Antietam National Battlefield
The gazebo/monument is across from the Dunker Church. The Maryland State Monument was dedicated on May 30, 1900. The keynote speaker was President William McKinley, a veteran of the battle. There are a total of 10 Monuments and Markers dedicated to Union and Confederate Maryland troops. This is the only monument at Antietam dedicated to both sides. Some of the highlights of this amazing monument is a beautiful statue of an allegorical woman up top, 4 bronze relief sculptures featuring various scenes of the Battle of Antietam, and multiple bronze plaques inside. It as a granite gazebo with a domed copper roof topped by a copper figure of female standing on a globe. She is dressed in long robes and holds a wreath and a sword in front of her. The exterior of the gazebo features four rectangular bronze relief plaques depicting battle scenes: the Wolcotts, the first Maryland Battery at Antietam; the Fifth Maryland closing in upon Roulette's Barns and House; Brockenbrough's Maryland Battery repelling a charge at Antietam; and the charge of the Second Maryland on Burnside Bridge.
Antietam National BattlefieldluminariesMaryland Monumentnight photographySharpsburgMarylandMD