Tower at Antietam National Battlefield
The Observation Tower was constructed at the end of the Sunken Road in 1897 by the War Department as part of its efforts to make the Antietam Battlefield into an open air classroom. Originally constructed open, the roof was added around 1909. The Irish Brigade Monument is just to the right of its base, with the mortuary cannon to Major General Israel Richardson to its left, flanked by a series of tablets.
towerobservation towerAntietam National BattlefieldbattlefieldSharpsburgMarylandMD