Old Port at Santorini
Created by the volcano erruption in 1650 B.C., Santorini’s Cruise Port port of call is located at the bottom of the Caldera Cliffs in Fira, the capital of Santorini. It doesn’t have a cruise terminal and visitors are tendered ashore by small boats. During high season the island hosts about 80,000 visitors per day, and there can be as many as five cruise ships arriving in the same morning, making the port one of the most crowded ports of the world.
The offcial name of the cruise port is Skala. Skala was an old port serving Thira before the bigger port of Anthinios took over. This pier became a tourist hub of sort, a small town of seaside cafés, boat rental agencies and trinket shops.